Support for Young Baptists
The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship values theological education as an important component of vocational ministry preparation. As a result, CBF invests in students who are current and future ministry leaders in Cooperative Baptist Fellowship life. We award up to 70 scholarships annually to Baptist students enrolled in the master of divinity degree program at an accredited institution of higher education.
Recipients of the scholarship receive $4,000 in tuition assistance and a travel stipend of up to $1,000 to attend General Assembly. In addition, they are given opportunities to build community, network and further develop leadership skills for service wtihin Cooperative Baptist Fellowship partner congregations, missions and ministries.
CBF School-Directed Leadership Scholarships
If you are a Baptist student currently enrolled at a participating theological education institution, please inquire about applying for the CBF School-Directed Leadership Scholarship by contacting your school's admissions or financial aid office during the spring semester. These scholarships are primarily directed by the school, with final approval granted by the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. If you are not eligible to receive the School-Directed Leadership Scholarship, then you may apply for the CBF At-Large Leadership Scholarship by completing the online application process.
baptist students at non-CBF partner schools - application Deadline: March 30, 2018
Baptist students enrolled in a master of divinity degree program at an accredited institution of higher education may apply for the CBF At-Large Leadership Scholarship. The Ministries Council of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship will recommend these scholars based on the application of the students and the belief that the students selected represent the best possible potential local ministry leaders for the mission and the ministry of CBF.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR AT-LARGE LEADERSHIP SCHOLARSHIPS:
- January 2, 2017 - At-Large Leadership Scholarship application process opens
- March 30, 2018 - Deadline for At-Large Leadership Scholarship applications to CBF
- May 16, 2018 - Name At-Large Leadership Scholarship recipients
The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship will award up to two Vestal Scholarships to Baptist students who are current or former CBF Leadership Scholars. Scholars will be chosen by a selection committee named by CBF from the current cohort of Leadership Scholars. Selections will be made based on the application of the students and the belief that the students selected represent the best possible potential local ministry leaders for the mission and the ministry of CBF.
Students selected as a Vestal Scholar must meet the following qualifications:
- Demonstrate a deep commitment and ongoing relationship with Christ,
- Clearly identify with CBF or espouse core values of CBF, showing leadership potential within the Fellowship
- Rising into his/her 2nd or 3rd year as a student
- Be a former or current recipient of the CBF Leadership Scholarship
- Maintain at least a 3.5-grade point average
- Demonstrate a commitment to congregational ministries
- Serve as a leader on and off campus
- Involved in a CBF church
IMPORTANT DATES FOR VESTAL SCHOLARSHIP:
- November 17, 2017 - Vestal Scholarship application process opens
- January 15, 2018 - Postmarked deadline for Vestal Scholar applications
- February 9, 2018 - Naming of Vestal Scholar recipients
- June 15, 2018 - Introduce Vestal Scholars during CBF General Assembly, Dallas, TX (recipeints should be present)
Regional scholarship opportunities
The CBF Fellows program assists young Baptist clergy in their "first-call" in making a healthy transition from seminary into congregational ministry. Since 2012, CBF has supported 47 Fellows and their congregations to encourage, learn from and inspire one another. The goal of CBF Fellows is to offer these young Baptist ministers essential resources not just to guard against burnout or isolation, but to empower them to thrive as congregational ministers. A second and equally important goal is for CBF to support and engage each Fellows congregation during the cohort encouraging them as they discern the best way to nurture the minister that God has called to serve in their community.
As a cohort, CBF Fellows are provided with practical resources for two-years which consist of five face-to-face gatherings, individual coaching sessions, peer learning and guidance in between sessions. To increase the program's reach and effectiveness, congregations commit to providing a Minister Encouragement Team for each Fellow that can provide the regular encouragement that the minister needs to sustain him or her between cohort gatherings.
Applications for the next cohort of CBF Fellows (2018-2020) will open in the fall of 2017. If you have any questions or want more information regarding the CBF Fellows program, contact the Director of the CBF Fellows Josh Speight.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR CBF FELLOWS 2016-2018 COHORT:
- February 27 - March 3, 2017: Session 2 (after ChurchWorks), Jacksonville, FL
- June 26-30, 2017: Session 3 (before General Assembly, Atlanta, GA
- February 26 - March 2, 2018: Session 4 (after ChurchWorks), location TBD
- June 25-29, 2018: Session 5 (before General Assembly), Dallas, TX