Immigration and Refugee Advocacy
CBF Advocacy priorities flow directly from the mission commitments and experiences of local congregations as well as our field personnel. CBF has been sharing the love of Christ with immigrant and refugee communities throughout our 25-year history and global migration is one of three contexts which serve as a focus of the work of Global Missions. It is this love of neighbor which leads to advocacy alongside and on behalf of immigrants and refugees. In April of 2017, CBF Advocacy established its first-ever Advocacy Action Team to educate, encourage and equip effective advocacy with immigrant and refugee communities. The members of this team cultivate a network of active advocates, provide useful up-to-date resources, and encourage direct policy advocacy at critical moments.
Members of the Advocacy Action Team include:
Anyra Cano - CBF Advocacy Outreach Specialist and Youth Minister, Iglesia Bautista Victoria en Cristo, Ft. Worth, Texas
Greg & Sue Smith - CBF field personnel, LUCHA Ministries Inc., Fredericksburg, Va.
Blake Hart - Missions Coordinator, CBF of South Carolina, Rock Hill, S.C.
Marc & Kim Wyatt - CBF field personnel, Advocates for Internationals, Research Triangle Raleigh, N.C.
Ruben Ortiz - CBF Latino Field Coordinator
Stephen Reeves - Associate Coordinator for Partnerships & Advocacy, Decatur, Ga.
For more information please contact Anyra Cano at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For periodic updates from CBF Advocacy, click here.
A blog post from CBF field personnel: Embracing Our Neighbor (May 19, 2017)
DACA and the DREAM Act:
BRIDGE Act “Bar Removal of Individuals who Dream and Grow our Economy Act” Policy Briefs
- Executive Order: Interior Enforcement of Immigration Laws
- Summary of Executive Order: Interior Enforcement of Immigration Laws
- Memorandum: Interior Enforcement of Immigration Laws
- Executive Order: Border Security
- Summary Memorandum of Executive Order: Border Security Executive Order Protecting The Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into The United States
Church Ministry and Advocacy Resources
- Security Screening of Refugees Admitted to the USA
- Sanctuary: Churches Partnering with Immigrant Communities
- CBF Global Missions Webinar: Engaging Refugees Through the Local Church
- I Can Learn About Refugees - Coloring and Activity Book for Children
CBF Blog Posts & Articles
- Cooperative Baptists Minister To Refugees and Immigrants Despite Order Barring Travel To The U.S. By Aaron Weaver (Patheos, January 30, 2017)
- Embracing our Refugee Neighbor – English Not Required By Marc Wyatt (Patheos, February 6, 2017)
- The Moral Obligation of Welcoming — CBF field personnel serves refugee families seeking freedom from fear By Ashleigh Bugg (Patheos, February 15, 2017)
- Postponing Love in an Airport By Kristen Pope (Patheos, January 31, 2017)
- I Am an Immigrant By Michael Cheuk (Patheos, January 31, 2017)
- Mercy in the Midst of Struggle: A DACA Story By Greg Smith (Patheos, December 30, 2016)
- The Difficult Decision to Emigrate, Leave Family Behind By Sue Smith (Ethics Daily, March 27, 2017)
Comprehensive Resource List